8/18/09

What're you wearing????

Recently a friend gave me a hug at church and then she said, "Oooo, what're you wearing? You smell good!" {Kelly:)} Those words transformed me from the I-got-ready-for-church-in-such-a-hurry-mother-of-3-boys-who-didn't-get-my-coffee person I was into something divine and princess-y. Perfume and a nice compliment can do that.

I read today an article about this girl's fascination with perfume and it got me thinking...me too!
Perfume is akin to mascara, or lipstick even...if its all you can do-do it!

So, I started reminiscing about the perfumes of my past, reflecting on how much I love the perfumes of my present, and dreaming about the perfumes of my future. Silly? Not in the least. It's like a chronicle of my life, a diary of me becoming me, a novel of a woman in process. Really.

Let's go back, not that far...to sometime in 1980-something....you with me?


Love's Baby Soft, I can smell it now! That precious first perfume was some kinda big deal to me. I think I got it in my Easter basket or Christmas stocking one year. Walking down the hall of my middle school it hung in the air. It was like walking through a pink cloud of wonderfulness. *Note, this was before there ever was a Bath & Body Works to dowse us in Plumeria...that came later, much later.

Fast forward to like 7th grade - or close to it- when geometry was the rule of scent for pre-teens...Liz Claiborne in the triangle bottle. I was sure I was the last girl in the world to finally get some. Then I think my triangle was red, not the yellow seen here. Did that matter? I cannot remember now if it did.I loved my Liz, when I finally got some. It was a must have, you would not have dreamed of wearing anything else but Liz.

Unless...
Oh yes, the wonderful Giorgio!
The only way I got to wear this was to use a friend's or beg the condescending counter girl for sample bottles at Goudchaux's. I cannot even remember how this smelled, so recently I smelled it at a discount store or maybe the flea market...did not like it at all. What on earth was the big deal? Sigh, I survived, difficult as it was, without my own bottle of Giorgio in its delicious yellow and white stripe box which can now be had online for under $20. whatever

What was next...OH! OF COURSE!!!! The grandest of all perfumes, so rich and luxurious, so mature, and mysterious...even its name was alluring....


geesh, sometimes, I think I over did it. I mean when your whole closet smells of Poison because the scent is so heavy in your sweaters, coats, and clothing...it was time to lighten up.

Enter Calvin, and he brought to me Eternity. So thankful for that Calvin! With its light airy scent Eternity reminded me of what the beach should smell like. Eternity was indeed the scent that carried me through the lingering moments of high school and into the Eternity of college. I was soooo mature.


So much changes when a young girl goes off to school. There are so many firsts of being a Freshman. It's so strange how one day you have no clue where you're going then all of a sudden you know your way around...the library and the bookstore.

At some point even The Gap had a scent that had to be had. What was it? Oh, there were several weren't there...with names like "sky" & "grass". Mmhmm, grass. I don't think that was their best seller though. I think I had "Dream" or "Heaven".
Somewhere along the way I liked Lauren and then quickly lost interest. I don't think I even managed to finish the bottle. It just seemed to much for me I suppose. Could be I was beginning to break away from the crowd too, and discover that I had not yet discovered my own unique scent...my signature scent.
Around this time, I think I resorted to the abundantly affordable offerings at Bath & Body Works. Everything from Plumeria to Vanilla. It's All Good!

Now, I know what I like. I like the "good stuff". Chanel. I will never forget my first visit to the Chanel counter. That was the day I came closer to womanhood. Chanel No.5 is a classic, but my Chanel is Chanel Mademoiselle. This is so beautiful, softly sophisticated...grace in a bottle. Everything I want to be when I grow up. This is my diva cologne...granted my version of diva is mild, but hey, we all have diva in us to some degree or another. This is mine. I love it.
Thank you Coco! mwah!

Now, really, is it wrong to have 2 signature scents. Is it betrayal to the one when you wear the other?

Daring as it seems, I also have another scent. Oh my goodness, it is so sweet. Floral yet not too much. It is what a lady, a young lady, should smell like. ;) Or a lady so lady like she can wear this regardless of her age and make the perfume even better for her having worn it.
How I met Stella: I picked up the bottle on display at Ulta as I was heading out with my Mom (we were out shopping on my birthday), I sniffed, sprayed, and fell for it...head over heels fell for this perfume.

I wear this every day! I get compliments on it too. This is what I was wearing the aforementioned Sunday. It will stop people in their tracks and they will ask, "What are you wearing?" You will answer, as I did: Stella, Stella Sheer. Then they will go and buy it, they won't complain about it being hard to find or how much it costs, they will hand over their money and they will buy this perfume. They'll wear it and feel beautiful, tranquil, and ever so lady like. Men will buy it for their wives or the women they want to be their wife. It is indeed dreamy.


Sorry, I had to go all Field of Dreams there didn't I.

I have unfortunately discovered what I cannot wear...and cannot even tolerate being around. These 2 colognes brought on the worst allergic attacks I've ever had. *If these are your signature scents...I'm sorry, I don't not like you, I just abhor your perfume.








These are no-no's.
Just seeing them makes
my nose itch!





Anyway, now I'm wondering....What are you wearing??? You smell wonderful, you must tell me what that scent is you're wearing!