2/10/11

10 Spot

1.  It's February.  One of my favorite things about February is hearing people pronounce it.  Do you say ˈfe-b(y)ə-ˌwer-ē or ˈfe-brə-wer-ē?  Now, say it 5 times and see if it doesn't sound like the strangest word ever.

2.  We've added Latin to our school day.  (amo, amas, amat, amamus, amatis, amant)  I love vocabulary.  When I was in high screwool, I would do the Reader's Digest vocabulary quizzes for F U N.  In college, I wished I'd had Latin before I got so deep into my biology and nursing courses.  It seems to be where most words begin.  So, do you know where "February" came from?  Middle English Februarie, from Old English Februarius, from Latin, from Februa, plural, feast of purification; First Known Use: before 12th century

3.  Do you remember THAT teacher you had?  You know, the one(s) that seemed so hard nosed and merciless?  How they expected so much and didn't seem concerned that you had to do some assignments over the weekend/holidays? The one who insisted on doing things a certain way because it was the right way?  One of mine even had a sign on her desk which read:  "Lack of planning on your part does not create an emergency on my part."  Well, I'm that teacher to a certain few.  (sigh)  But I don't have a sign, or a desk for that matter. Sometimes I do wish I had a shirt that said: "Seriously???"

4.  This is the second week of using an assignment checklist for my 4th grade son's daily assignments.  He's getting the hang of it and I think he likes it...kind of.  It is helping him see what all needs to be done and he enjoys checking the boxes and seeing the to-do list completed.  I like that it gives him more independence and reveals how much time he wastes...he's my dawdler, my lolly-gagger, my dreamer.  I, and he, also like the reward options at the bottom of the page for his hard work.  One regret, I didn't do it sooner, and that it isn't also a harness to hold him in his seat for more than 5 min at a time.  The first kid is such a learning experience.

5.  In the co-op biology class I help with we recently studied "mutualistic relationships" in Kingdom Animalia.  They are indeed everywhere.  Here's a few I've noticed recently in my corner of the Kingdom:
  • big brothers - little brothers
  • husbands - wives
  • parent - child
  • coffee - teeth whiteners
  • homeschool families - libraries
  • me - my tennis racquet
  • a 3 year old - the family dog
I could go on.

6.  It's cold here in the deep South.  In fact, we had snowflakes here at about 10:00 this morning.

7.  I giggle out loud every time I answer "we homeschool" when someone asks where my kids go to school.  First, I still can't believe I'm doing this, and its our 3rd year.  Second, the look of surprise on their face at my answer.  Third, how the next question is do you know so-and-so...because all homeschoolers know all homeschoolers.  Fourth, when they (especially those who you know are Christians) say, "I could never do that!" (seriously?Phil4:13 and never say never...God has a fabulous sense of humor) Fifth, see the first reason.

8.  I do not so much care for the whole Valentine's Day thing.  I will however, make cookies for my 4 guys and participate in a few VDay activities.  For instance, I will purchase for my 3 sons boxes of super hero/action figure Valentine "cards" and make sure that they only write their name on them because heaven forbid if any child should not get the same number of cards as another and be scarred for life.  (How'd we ever survive childhood.)  I will also visit the Hoops & Yoyo site and send a few email cards whilst my chilrun dance and carry on like Hoops & Yoyo.  Then I will dance and carry on like Hoops & Yoyo with them.  I will hug on and love on those I love and let them know I love them and tell them they better love me or else.  I will not spend upwards of $5.95 on a card because a mass marketing scheme guilts me into it.  I will not order a pajama gram, proflower arrangement, or Vermont teddy bear...and hope I do not receive any of the above.  For your sake, I hope you do not either.  Then we will go to the stores after VDay and purchase a few Russel Stover turtles and Reese's on clearance because the stores over bought and because poor saps like us didn't run in and make guilt purchases to convince others of our love they will be marked down 75%.  Happy Valentine's Day!

9.  LSU baseball starts on the 18th.  Tickets make a great token of one's love and devotion.  It ranks right up there with having your name (preceded by "I ") painted on an overpass.



10.  From last Monday morning...

I wait for the LORD, my whole being waits,
   and in his word I put my hope.
I wait for the Lord
   more than watchmen wait for the morning,
   more than watchmen wait for the morning.
Psalm 130:5-6

2 comments:

  1. Yeah on the plants. Which co-op (s) are you now attending...AND LOL on all homeschoolers knowing each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute post! We live in the South also. Now just imagine homeschooling twenty years ago when it was nowhere as accepted as it is now!I am so glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete