6/27/06

It's Just a Tuesday


Tuesday
Poor Tuesday. Each of its sibling days of the week have something of note about them. Monday carries with it the dread of a long work week ahead, Wednesday is hump day, Thursday is the beginning of the weekend for those persons 18-22, TGIF! (need I say more?), Saturday is fun day, & Sunday is God's day. So what about Tuesday? If it weren't for one of the best bargain hunting stores ever, Tuesday Morning, what would Tuesday have?



This Day in History

This particular Tuesday is my Father-in-law's birthday. So, that is special now isn't it. He is 62, and doesn't look or seem to be what I grew up thinking 62 would look or be like. He is a good man. Happy Birthday to you!

I used to call Michael "the King of Trivia" because he seemed to know something about anything or anyone. I used to try to come home with something he hadn't heard or didn't already know. That got old very fast, so I resorted to telling him the details of my shift in the OR. (At least there was the satisfaction of grossing him out) It must be hard carrying such a load; to have all of that stuff floating around in his gray matter must have given him a headache. (It amazed me how a brain so knowledgeable and with such capacity for retaining so much information could not remember to say...take his clothes to the laundry instead of leaving a trail on the floor, or empty his pockets if he did make it to the strange room in the back of the house called the laundry room. Amazing.) Anyway, I'd have probably had a better chance of stumping him if the internet had been what it is today. For instance, check out this site http://www.historynet.com/tih/tih0627/.

Today in HistoryJune 27

  • 363 Roman Emperor Julian dies, ending the Pagan Revival.
  • 1743 English King George defeats the French at Dettingen, Bavaria.
  • 1833 Prudence Crandall, a white woman, is arrested for conducting an academy for black women in Canterbury, Conn.
  • 1862 Confederates break through the Union lines at the Battle of Gaines' Mill--the third engagement of the Seven Days' campaign.
  • 1864 General Sherman is repulsed by Confederates at the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain.
  • 1871 The yen becomes the new form of currency in Japan.
  • 1905 The crew of the Russian battleship Potemkin mutinies.
  • 1918 Two German pilots are saved by parachutes for the first time.
    1923 Yugoslav Premier Nikola Pachitch is wounded by Serb attackers in Belgrade.
  • 1924 Democrats offer Mrs. Leroy Springs the vice presidential nomination, the first woman considered for the job.
  • 1927 The U.S. Marines adopt the English bulldog as their mascot.
  • 1929 Scientists at Bell Laboratories in New York reveal a system for transmitting television pictures.
  • 1942 The Allied convoy PQ-17 leaves Iceland for Murmansk and Archangel.
  • 1944 Allied forces capture the port city of Cherbourg, France.
  • 1950 The UN Security Council calls on members for troops to aid South Korea.
  • 1963 Henry Cabot Lodge is appointed U.S. ambassador to South Vietnam.
  • 1973 President Richard Nixon vetoes a Senate ban on the Cambodia bombing.
  • 1985 The U.S. House of Representatives votes to limit the use of combat troops in Nicaragua.


Born on June 27

  • 1462 Louis XII, King of France (1498-1515).
  • 1682 Charles XII, King of Sweden (1697-1718).
  • 1869 Emma Goldman, Lithuanian-born American anarchist, feminist and birth control advocate.
  • 1872 Paul Laurence Dunbar, African-American poet and writer.
  • 1880 Helen Keller, American educator.
  • 1888 Antoinette Perry, actress and director, namesake of the "Tony" Awards.
  • 1913 Richard Bissell, novelist and playwright.
  • 1913 Willie Mosconi, professional billiards player.
  • 1920 I.A.L. Diamond, screenwriter.
  • 1926 Frank O'Hara, American poet.
  • 1927 Bob Keeshan, American television actor, best known as "Captain Kangaroo."
  • 1953 Alice McDermott, writer (That Night, At Weddings and Wakes).

Isn't it amazing that there is an endless source of useful, historical, trivial, and even senseless data soaring around out there...in cyber space. Well, I'll say this, I had no idea this was Captain Kangaroo's birthday. Just think I grew up watching a show hosted by a man who shared the same birthday as my future father-in-law. hmmm

I couldn't help but wonder what events shared my birthdate, June 13. Some pretty darn good ones if you ask me! See for yourself:

http://www.thehistorynet.com/tih/tih0613/index.html

Swimming Lessons: Day 7

Day 6 went well and was basically a review of the previous week's skills. Today they really worked on the Freestyle and began teaching how to turn your head to the side for a breath while swimming. This was about like teaching someone to do that pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time thing. No, really the whole group (whose number has dropped to 4) did pretty well. It was fun to watch though! Once again, Jack was praised for his accomplishments and given much encouragement as he learns this new skill.

Today I:

  1. Watched Jack at swimming lessons.
  2. Put Andrew down for a nap back home and then read a bunch of books with Jack.
  3. Made lunch.
  4. Played with the boys.
  5. Checked the mail.
  6. Played with the boys, and we watched Mr. Rogers.
  7. Put Andrew and Jack down for a nap.
  8. Put the first coat of red paint on Michael's childhood rocker.
  9. Made pockets for Jack's pjs.
  10. Ripped out the seams for the pockets b/c I did them wrong.
  11. Cleaned up the kitchen.
  12. Watched some of the Shaggy Dog (the old one in black and white) with Jack.
  13. Had dinner with the boys and my Mom.
  14. Bathed the boys.
  15. Went to the Hogan's to celebrate Bar's birthday.
  16. Came home, did fly lady in the kitchen.
  17. Kissed Andrew goodnight.
  18. Listened to stories and prayed with Michael and Jack.
  19. Kissed Jack goodnight.
  20. Wrote this entry.
  21. Went to bed.

huh?

Today, not sure exactly when during the day, Jack came to me with my "Wise Words for Moms" book and said sweetly, "Mommy, can you show me the scripture about disobedience because Andrew is not obeying me about sharing." Do you wanna know what I said? Well, I said something like this, "When Andrew is old enough to understand and listen I will teach him that. But for now we have to teach him how to share by example." Was that good? (There is a verse that advises us as Christians to be ready to give an account of what we believe and why. I believe that it speaks to belief in Christ primarily, however, I also believe it speaks to all areas of our lives. Why do you believe what you believe? What do you say to all the 'whys' that your children ask? We have to be ready with an answer that will point to Christ in all things. Be ready.) Jack was satisfied with that, he said "Ok." Then off he went, back to play with his stingy little brother! He just catches me off guard sometimes with the serious and funny things he says! Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to an adolescent. His vocabulary and logic amaze me at times. I wonder if I'll be able to help with his math homework when he is in 4th grade?

Somebody Say Something!

I never thought I'd ask this, but I cannot handle the silence. Let me explain myself: I find it ironic that I know enjoy what I used to loathe about my 12th grade English class, journaling/creative writing. Don't get me wrong, I love to write as much as I love to talk, I think it was just being ASSIGNED to do it that made me not like it. Anyway, in the family I come from, everyone talked/s at the same time and you did good to talk loud enough to be heard. I became very good at participating in at least 2 conversations at the same time. (This is also funny, because now in my in-law family, I am quite content to do the listening as my Hogan family carries the conversation.)

So, while I love this outlet for my thoughts...its too quiet. If you read my entries and a thought comes to mind worth passing along please, PLEASE share it with me. I would love to know what you are thinking in response to my musings.

Thank you for reading though. I know a few are, and I think its nice of you to do so.

Happy Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment