9/11/06

"Yet, who can know your hearts?"

At about 7:45 this morning, I was coming home after taking Jack to school. On XM's broadcast of FOX NEWS, I heard a man ask this question, "Yet, who can know your hearts?"

He was speaking at a memorial service for those who lost loved ones in the attacks on our country on September 11, 2001. He spoke very somberly and respectfully to those in attendance. I wanted to say to him, give them hope! Don't leave them hanging with a question unanswered! Tell them, tell them who knows their hearts! Do you talk to your radio or TV? I do. I know the answer to his question. Do you? I spoke it out loud, in my car, with Joy, "God does."
"...Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."
I Samuel 16:7

"The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? 'I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind...'" Jeremiah 17:9-10



Do you know how many verses there are in the whole Bible that talk about our heart? Almost 800! Our hearts are obviously important to God for Him to speak of them that many times. I did a word search for "heart" at Crosswalk.com, using the Bible Study Tools link. I was amazed at what I saw. Verses that talk about a heart that is broken, the relationship between our hearts and mouths, the relationship between our heart's condition and our physical condition, the concerns of our hearts, the desires of our hearts, God's desire to be known in our hearts, man's desire for God to know his heart, and ultimately the desire and plan of God to create in us a new heart saved by Grace through the death and victorious resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I thought it was sensitive and wise of this man to recognize the grief of these mourners hearts. Their grief is precious to God.

"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. Psalm 126:5"
"The Lord is close to those who are brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18

But, I wish the speaker would have told them the answer to his question. They needed to hear it today especially. I wish I could have said, "Excuse me...but I know! May I share the answer?" I silently prayed in my car these thoughts: that the Spirit of God would reveal Himself to those there this morning. That He would draw men, women, and children to the Father in that moment. That He would whisper, there is One who knows your heart. He loves you, He wants to be known by you, you can find Him when you seek with all your heart, He alone is God, He alone is Creator...no other, He alone can heal you, He alone can save you, He alone can give you a new heart. He alone can give purpose to your life. He sees you, He sees your tears and records them in His book, only He can love you with an everlasting love.

My Question...
So, now I have a question. Do you know what Jesus came to do, for you? Yes, He did come to die for your Salvation. Would you believe He came to do even more?

"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion - to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor." Isaiah 61:1-3

Are you brokenhearted today? Won't you let Him bind up your heart and heal it? He made your heart, He alone can heal it. Are you crying in mourning and despair? He offers you comfort, beauty and gladness in exchange for your grief and tears. Won't you reach out to Him? You will find Him there.

A Strong Tower
Five years ago today two tall, strong towers were attacked and they fell. Are we safe anywhere? Yes.
"The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run to it and are safe." Proverbs 18:10

God, Captivate the heart of America today. While we are sensitive and remembering our loss and pain, while our hearts are tender, speak to us as a country. Holy Spirit, turn America's heart back to God, the one true God, no other. Jehovah God, save us, protect us, and cause your favor to fall on us. God, bless America today and always. In Jesus name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment