3/18/08

Yes, I know, my baby is crying...












We went to the Fairhope Arts & Crafts show last weekend and had a wonderful time. We played at the park and the boys had fun riding through Fairhope in their red wagon.

However, Will was upset about being put back in his stroller at one point and howled through the streets of Fairhope for 10 minutes or more. I lost track of how many well meaning people took time to stop me and tell me "someone is upset!" or "did you pinch that baby?" or "ooooo, somebody is not happy".

Thank you for noticing, here I am the precious baby's mother, and have not even noticed my child is screaming his lungs out. Where is my head? Whatever should I do? I am just not a good mother I suppose. Thank you for your concern, I promise to do better in my mothering. I hope we haven't been too loud for you to enjoy this outdoor festival. By the way, do you happen to have one of those magic pills that will make a baby stop crying? We could sure use one!

That's what I wanted to say after the umpteenth comment and inquiry about my upset baby boy. I was however, not brought up to be rude. So, I politely smiled and said, "Yes, I know. I think he is just sleepy." Or something like that each other time.

For the record I'd fed, diapered, and comforted my baby...he was just not wanting to be in the stroller and was fighting sleep. He did settle, finally, and snoozed peacefully in the shade of his stroller canopy as we strolled through the rest of the festival.

Oh, people are so funny! What do we really mean when we make such obvious declarations? Here's your sign...

So, next time you see a mother racing through the mall pushing a stroller with an upset child or two, or maybe you're stuck in the elevator with her...I know you want to say something, but don't slow her down with your comments. Tell her she looks cute, compliment her hair, better yet, say a silent prayer for her, and let her keep moving, trust me...she knows her kid is crying. Every nerve in her body is crying out for Prozac or caffeine. She is acutely aware that the howls are echoing through the entire food court. She can feel the looks coming her way. So, unless you are willing to offer your time and arms to assist her with a fussy child...just let her go. The child will be ok, in most cases. Once they are in the car and some kiddy music is on hopefully they will settle...as they go rolling along, the child will probably even go to sleep.

Remember what it was like for you? How it seems like yesterday when your babies were babies. How fast did time pass for you? Or imagine yourself pushing your own bundle for the first time in the mall. What a wonderful time in life. Children are a blessing.

Sometimes they are loud too.

The Little Children and Jesus
Matthew 19:13Then little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them.
14Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." 15When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there.





No comments:

Post a Comment