9/1/10

He knows


“He had Abraham take a walk,
Elijah take a nap,
Joshua take a lap,
Adam take the rap.
He gave Moses a 40-year timeout,
He gave David a harp and a dance,
He gave Paul a pen and a scroll.
He wrestled with Jacob,
argued with Job,
whispered to Elijah,
warned Cain,
and comforted Hagar.
He gave Aaron an altar,
Miriam a song,
Gideon a fleece,
Peter a name,
and Elisha a mantle.
Jesus was stern with the young rich ruler,
tender with the woman caught in adultery,
patient with the disciples,
blistering with the scribes,
gentle with the children,
and gracious with the theif on the cross.”
by John Ortberg



The boys have been testing me lately and I hear myself saying out loud, "I just don't know what to do."  It seems as if they have turned away from, forgotten, abandoned all the manners, instruction, and training we have instilled in them their whole short precious lives. I'm finding myself desperate for their attention and obedience.
So, I turn to their Father...their Creator Father...the one who knit them together, dreamed up their personalities, and blessed my life by giving them to me. He is responsible for them, they are His. I'm not shirking my role as mother, nor is Michael as their Daddy...but we know who they belong to and it is on Him I'm leaning...even a little harder these last few days.
Give me your eyes to see them the way You see them. Give me your heart for them. Give me your hands to guide them. Give me your Joy over them. Give me your thoughts about them. Give me your patience with them.
More of you Lord, less of me. Jesus, love my 3 through me.

Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old 
he will not turn from it. 
Proverbs 22:6
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time 
we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Galatians 6:9

What's your verse that carries you through, keeps you focused, or lifts your parent heart?

2 comments:

  1. hi! good meeting you this week! I shoulda known you'd know Tracy :) I love that girl.
    hope our paths cross again soon.

    your blog is beautiful. i've subscribed to it, so I can keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete