9/11/11

New Normal

I picked up my sweet baby boy, just barely 8 months old, and sang to him "this is the day, this is the day, that the Lord has made, I will rejoice, I will rejoice, and be glad in it..." as I laid him on the changing table.  After diapering him we went into the family room and I fed him and rocked him and played with him until he got sleepy.  As I rocked him back to sleep I turned on the tv and began to watch my favorite morning show on Fox News.

With my baby on my shoulder breathing softly in my ear as he slept I watched as Fox interrupted the program and began showing a building with smoke pouring out of it.  It was the first tower struck by a plane.  As Shepherd Smith was speculating about what had happened that a plane could get so off course that it would strike such a building as the World Trade Center.

Moments later, live on tv, I watched as the second plane hit the second tower.  

I will remember the events I saw happen that day.  I will remember how I felt.  I will remember knowing what this meant for my brothers serving in the USAF and the USMC.  I will remember God's promise to never leave or forsake.  

There was no getting back to normal.  Normal was forever changed.  

Have we forgotten.


2 comments:

  1. I remember exactly where I was too. My eldest son was one and the huge disparity of the appalling horror on tv, and the lovely innocence of my baby has never left me either.

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've signed up to follow you...your blog is lovely!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete