9/11/11

New Normal

I picked up my sweet baby boy, just barely 8 months old, and sang to him "this is the day, this is the day, that the Lord has made, I will rejoice, I will rejoice, and be glad in it..." as I laid him on the changing table.  After diapering him we went into the family room and I fed him and rocked him and played with him until he got sleepy.  As I rocked him back to sleep I turned on the tv and began to watch my favorite morning show on Fox News.

With my baby on my shoulder breathing softly in my ear as he slept I watched as Fox interrupted the program and began showing a building with smoke pouring out of it.  It was the first tower struck by a plane.  As Shepherd Smith was speculating about what had happened that a plane could get so off course that it would strike such a building as the World Trade Center.

Moments later, live on tv, I watched as the second plane hit the second tower.  

I will remember the events I saw happen that day.  I will remember how I felt.  I will remember knowing what this meant for my brothers serving in the USAF and the USMC.  I will remember God's promise to never leave or forsake.  

There was no getting back to normal.  Normal was forever changed.  

Have we forgotten.