5/21/08

I had a hard day...

Yesterday. I am so glad that's what it is...yesterday. Even better is the thought that it will be even farther away than that with each new day God gives me. The greatest good that came out of yesterday was this...

I spoke with a friend about some heart issues. You know the kind that are deeeeep down and heavy. She listened, she comforted me with her words, she comforted me with the Words of God, she loved me, she laughed with me, she shared a similar experience of her own with me...she was far away, but very here.

I wish I could be closer geographically with this friend. I have always wished to know her even better.

She told me, "You know Wendy, I'm a fixer, I want to fix this for you and I can't. What I can do is pray for and with you. What I can do is hold up your arms...you know like Moses did for Joshua. I can believe for you and with you that you will make it through." I knew exactly what she was referring to, and it was exactly what I needed.

Exodus 17:8-16
8 The Amalekites came and attacked the Israelites at Rephidim. 9 Moses said to Joshua, "Choose some of our men and go out to fight the Amalekites. Tomorrow I will stand on top of the hill with the staff of God in my hands."

10 So Joshua fought the Amalekites as Moses had ordered, and Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill. 11 As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. 12 When Moses' hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady till sunset. 13 So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword.


14 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Write this on a scroll as something to be remembered and make sure that Joshua hears it, because I will completely blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven."

15 Moses built an altar and called it The LORD is my Banner. 16 He said, "For hands were lifted up to the throne of the LORD. The [
c] LORD will be at war against the Amalekites from generation to generation."

I remember that "Bible Story" from when I was a kid. After I read it again this morning the first thing I thought of was...how did Moses make it? I mean, it wasn't like it was holding up your arms for 15 minutes. He held them up the whole battle. That makes my hands and arms hurt thinking about it. I have carpal tunnel and wake up most mornings with painful numbness in both hands. Don't you know his must have just been burning with that prickly numbness! Blood doesn't run up like that, no circulation there for hours and hours and hours. I can't believe Moses didn't pass out. Plus, he was holding a rod!?!?

Good grief!

So, verse 12 tells how Aaron and Hur each held up one of Moses' hands when he became exhausted.

That's where I was yesterday, exhausted. There I am, standing where I'm supposed to be, doing what I'm supposed to be doing and I'm exhausted. Then things started popping up, unexpected landmines right where I'm standing...but I'm supposed to stay put! So, she offered to hold my arms up and pray...right then, right there she prayed...what a relief. The right now of our praying strengthened me instantly. Knowing that her praying was going to continue after we hung up, sustained me.

Sometimes, we need to be held up. Obedience can be exhausting continuing on in what God has for you can be hard. What a gift to know I could call and be supported, scripturally encouraged, & advised in wisdom. Thank you God that she was ready in You and able, equipped, to immediately stand in the gap for me and with me.

Help me stay ready...ready for when its my turn to help a friend keep their arms up, believing with them and for them that you are God and the battle is yours. Keep me ready to be ready.

I love the friendships you've given me God. Each one is so special and unique. Thank you for friends who pray for me and with me, thank you for friends who will pray Your will for me.

I'm writing this down so I'll remember it and that others can look at it and see what You have done. You are active and alive, working out Your plan for me.

(By the way, I once heard someone say, "My friend bank is too full; I need to narrow it down. People keep asking me to be prayer partners etc. and I just don't have the space in my life for any new ones." ?!?! :-0 Well, I guess that's fine if you're considering some of those may be in your inner circle that you don't have any business hanging with. Of course you can't be intimate best friends with everyone...but if you're talking about culling people who love you, love God, and are the kind of friends Jesus would give you...I'd think twice. You never know who you'll need to call on. You need a variety pack of friends; old, young, same age as you; different races; different personalities; different but all still in Christ. Hey, look at the disciples...they were all very different...and there were 12! Anyway...don't be a dummy about friends.)



No comments:

Post a Comment