7/22/11

Lil' HELP!




Help me Rhonda!  Or even you! If you can!  Remember when you were a kid playing kickball (or whatever) and the ball gets past you and you holler out "LiL HELP!"  And then kids drop what they were doing, hop off of swings, abandon the tether ball, hit the ground running off the slide and toss the ball back to you.

Well, this one has gotten past me and I'm calling out to you..."LiL HELP!" 




It all started here, with this media cabinet, and it looked like this when I brought it home from the Salvation Army.
 

Then I painted it (Paris Grey & Old White) and clear-waxed it and it looked like this.  
And we liked it.


Then I started thinking about the AS dark wax.  And then I started thinking it would look more "drift-woodish" if it was dark waxed.  So, when I got back from Birmingham and the AS class I took I dark waxed it. And in artificial light it looks like this...

Not bad.  But this happened...in several spots the wax "erased" itself and became muddy. On the front of the cabinet (see above) you can see some white/light spots where the same problem occured.  On the side (see below) you can see an area that is lighter under the top and just left of the front edge, it is almost pie/wedge shaped.  The interior edge of the problem spot is dark and muddy looking.  (The enlargement is a bit grainy, I hope you can see what I'm talking about though.) 


 

I had to pounce with the wax brush to get any dark wax color to go back on that top right corner area and it  just isn't the look I'd hoped for at all.   I want to love dark wax too! 


I get by with a lil help from my friends! :)
So, whaddya think? How~why did this happen?  What did I do wrong?  Anyone? Bueller?


Lil' help?  





       Furniture Feature Fridays

4 comments:

  1. Sigh - The dark wax strikes again. I would repaint over. Mix the dark with the clear and go very easy. I'm finding more success with the chalk paint mixed with water for the 'glaze'. I've yet to try paint mixed with clear wax but I have big hopes for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see my tutorial for how I achieved a weahered oak look on my table top. It's pretty similar to the look I think you're going for. Here's the link if you'd like a look.

    I'd say what you need to do is use clear wax to rub off the section that you're not happy with and try it again.

    My table top didn't take evenly either - but if you look at weathered pieces, they're not evenly weathered at all. Do you see what I mean?

    Thank you so much for joining in with my Paint, Please link party.

    Your blog is beautiful! I've signed up to follow you!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you see my tutorial for how I did my weathered oak finish on my table? You can see it here. What I'd suggest, if you aren't happy with the finish in places is to wipe it off on that section using more clear wax and start it again.

    But don't worry about little bits of inconsistent markings - real weathering doesn't happen evenly either!

    Thanks so much for joining up with my Paint, Please link party. I love your blog! I've signed up to follow you.

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I can't help you with your dilema . . . but what a beautiful piece you have found and rescued.

    I am popping over from Sarah's great paint party. (Link #34)

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete